Friday, September 18, 2009

Goddesses Among Us


Now I thought breast feeding would be tough, but I now know that I under estimated the challenge.  You start with a longing to provide the best nourishment for your baby and an opportunity unlike any other to share a special bond with your child the first year of their life.  I was very fortunate because Christopher and I were able to have a good 30-minutes together right after his birth to bond right away.  Just then, right before my eyes I witnessed the amazing process I've read so much about but still didn't quite believe...Christopher found his way to my breast and was able to latch right away!  My heart was filled with joy, step one accomplished!  Then the great nurses at Providence St. Joesph's helped immensely making sure that Christopher continued to latch on properly.  All seemed well when we left the hospital, I was so grateful for this blessing I now shared with my child.  A couple days in, my breast feeding bliss went from joy to extreme pain and feelings of doubt.  I made an appointment with my doctor and a lactation consultant right away because I feared that I had an infection.  Luckily this was not the case, just a badly attacked nipple.  After a session with the lactation nurse I was able to get over my fear of feeding on this breast and was back in business.  Now, I'm not going to lie to you, things are better but still a work in progress, and a little pill called Motrin is essential in the process.   I still feel very fortunate to have this opportunity and will forever bow down to all women who breast feed, or whom I now refer to as the "Goddesses Among Us". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Kasparians

The Kasparians
Family Pre-Baby